2016 UPDATES of MY AMATEUR IMPACT CRATER/STRUCTURE EXPLORATIONS
- Prince Edward Point, Ontario – DECEMBER – UNDERWATER EXPLORATION
This image illustrates dark material deposited in a linear manner in a natural groove in the bedrock by wave motion. This explains the “dark” pseudo-crater rim that I saw from the air.
- Chicxulub, Yucatan Peninsula – OCTOBER
Renne, Paul R.; (et al) Jan (7 February 2013). “Time Scales of Critical Events Around the Cretaceous-Paleogene Boundary”. Science 339 (6120)
- IDENTIFYING IMPACT STRUCTURES – SEPTEMBER
- Chicxulub, Yucatan, Mexico – AUGUST
- Panther Mountain, USA – JULY – JOINT EROSION
The joints were spaced about a foot apart there, some 10 times closer than jointing elsewhere in the surrounding rocks. That’s what governed the circular course of the creeks – water will preferentially erode away rock where it’s weaker and so areas of the bedrock with more frequent jointing will eventually form creek valleys. .(Hudson Valley Geologist)
- Barringer Crater, USA – JULY – GRANULAR ZIRCON REVEALED
Transformations to granular zircon revealed: Twinning, reidite, and ZrO2 in shocked zircon from Meteor Crater (Arizona, USA) Aaron J. Cavosie, Nicholas E. Timms, Timmons M. Erickson, Justin J. Hagerty and Friedrich Hörz
- Carolina Bays, USA – JULY
LIDAR elevation image of 300 square miles (800 km2) of Carolina bays in Robeson County, N.C. (Wikipedia)
- YOUNGER DRYAS (YD) EXTINCTION – JUNE – CAROLINA BAYS
- Jocko River Spring Structure – JUNE
I am balancing half way up the crater rim and holding a birch branch so it hangs vertical. Referencing the vertical branch with the one placed on the rim, the angle is ~50°.
- Sudbury, Ontario – MAY – CHEMOSTRATIGRAPHY & ZIRCONS
Differentiated impact melt sheets may be a potential source of Hadean detrital zircon – Gavin G. Kenny, Martin J. Whitehouse and Balz S. Kamber
- Chicxulub, Yucatan, Mexico MAY 2016 – DRILLING PROJECT
Marmora Mine 520 X 365 metres and 215 metres deep (1700 feet X 1200 feet and 700 feet deep).
- Parry Peninsula, NWT – APRIL
The 160 Km diameter Parry Peninsula structure is a possible central peak impact crater.
- Younger Dryas Extinction – MARCH – LONSDALEITE
|Nanosecond formation of diamond and lonsdaleite by shock compression of graphite (Kraus et al 2016)|
- Manitou Islands, Ontario – MARCH – GEOLOGICAL UPDATE
Aeromagnetic map of the Manitou Island complex (from ODM-GSC 1965c)
- Wanapitei, Ontario – MARCH – BOLIDE IDENTIFICATION AND IMPLICATION
Update: Evidence for a second L chondrite impact in the Late Eocene: Preliminary results from the Wanapitei crater, Canada. R. Tagle1 (et al) 2006
“We, all of us, are what happens when a primordial mixture of hydrogen and helium evolves for so long that it begins to ask where it came from.”